Sugar Cookies

I may have blogged about these cookies before, but they are a hit around our house. I know they are good because Calder has been ANNOYING the heck out of me to make them ever since he found the Christmas cookie cutters in a box of decorations. Another good indication they are good is that I have seen my brother and husband eat a dozen in one sitting. My sister has probably also eaten close to that many as well, but she likes to sneak them when people aren't looking. It's like it doesn't count if no one sees!


Calder did a fabulous job of being my helper. On Thursday he was with me every step of the way while we made the batter. On Friday, he stood by me and helped cut all the cookies out and then he decorated every single one with sprinkles. He only iced one - his first cookie you see him eating here. I wasn't ready to ice and he wasn't willing to wait to eat one!
As I said on Friday, we were very busy last week and Sugar Cookie Friday was no exception. We had a small window to ice and decorate the cookies and it happened to be at a time Boone was awake. He was not content on the floor while Calder and I had so much action going on at the table, so I put him up in his seat and gave him some toys. He was having none of the toys. He immediately started yelling for a cookie. Although Boone eats virtually everything we eat, I didn't think an 8 month old pounding back sugar cookies was the way I wanted to go (and believe me, he would have pounded them back and then cried for more!). I tried puffed wheat, but there was no having that when he could see the cookies. Next up was Baby Mum Mums. Hugh says they are like eating air. Pretty good description. Boone wasn't happy with these, but he wasn't totally upset, so we went with it. It got pretty touch and go during his third pack of these cardboard goodies. I almost had to throw some green icing on one so Calder and I could finish our work without a meltdown occurring!

There are no red ones. I didn't have any red food colouring. I love the Wilton gel food colouring and since I had already left the house to get icing sugar, there was no way I was going back out for food colouring! My friend, Twyla, introduced me to the gels and I will never use anything else again. You get such vibrant colours. You can get them at Michaels and the Dollar Store. 

Here are the recipes:

Sugar Cookies (Thanks to my brother's Home Ec teacher Mrs. Button for this one!)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2.5 cups flour
1.5 tsp cream of tarter
0.5 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Chill one hour or overnight. Bake cookies at 375 degrees for 7 - 8 minutes.

Icing (This is a thicker icing, not a glaze - We like it!)
4 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup butter
5 Tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off