Dove

I have received an overwhelming response on my blog, Facebook and through texts to my "Out of the Fog" post. Thank you everyone for all your support. I really needed to hear your stories and affirmations.

The first commenter on that post mentioned the new Dove commercial. It is worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet. On the radio they were talking about Dove's motives. Are they truly trying to get women to think about themselves in a different way? Or are they trying to sell a product? Dove is owned by Unilever, who interestingly enough also owns Axe. 

I personally don't care if their sole motive is to sell their product, because even if it is the byproduct is so powerful that it has women challenging how they look and feel about themselves. 

I watched that commercial and questioned how I would describe myself. I think I am pretty fair, but even as I described my features in my mind I realized I was probably doing so in a way that no other person would. As long as I can remember, I have been critical of my nose. In fact, in University when playing the, "If I could change one thing about myself" game with friends it would be a no brainer for me. I would pick my nose. I don't like the way my profile looks. My dad has told me I get my nose from my Great Grandma Carswell (Grandma Jenny's mom). She was an incredible woman and I feel honored to have a tiny piece of her - yet it is the first thing I would ditch? 

I reflected on how I choose "good" pictures of myself. I will actually have Hugh take a dozen or more pictures of myself so that I can pick the best one. Sometimes that dozen pictures isn't good enough and I make him take more. Deena sent me a great article a few weeks ago that is a must read if you can relate to my aversion to having anything but the perfect picture taken or displayed. 

Here are a couple of pictures of me. I have been inspired to post these pictures I consider "not-so-perfect". I am sure you won't be as critical as me!

The best 2 pictures of from the dozen or so Hugh took of me in this pose has the least flattering pictures of Boone. This is not my favorite picture of me, but is the best picture of him (and he still looks cross-eyed!). 
Here is me right now. I had to take a profile shot of myself, because I could have searched my whole iPhoto library and not found one (I tend to delete these shots!).






Comments

  1. The secret I learned about profile shots in a photography class I just took is to only turn your head enough that your nose is still within the curve of your cheek. Then your nose doesn't look as big. (not that your nose is big)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love that photo of Boone and you - he looks like an adorable marshmallow! So cute!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off