Positive Thinking

I watched a good TED Talk last night it was by Shawn Achor and titled The happy secret to better work. If you have an extra 12 minutes and 20 seconds today you should watch it. Hugh and I laughed out loud multiple times and it finishes with a really strong message.

If you don't have time to watch, here is my Coles' Notes version (minus the funny stories - you will have to watch it if you want those).

Most people believe that if they work hard and have success that they will be happy, but Achor is adamant that Hard work DOES NOT equal happy, nor does Success equal happy. His reasoning is that every time we have success, we just set the bar a little higher. You get a good job, then you want a better job. You get a good grade, then you want a better grade. Achor states that "if happiness is on the opposite side of success, your brain never gets there."


Achor states what we need to do is raise our brains level of positivity in the present and this will give us a happiness advantage. He adds that our brains at positive function much better than when when they are neutral or stressed. This isn't shocking, but I felt like he was talking to me last night. I am completely busy to the point of being overwhelmed at work and the list I have at home is long. I am not complaining. I have a great job and a great home, both of which include great supports, but I am feeling like there are a hundred things going on at once right now. Achor made me realize that if I want to get through this stressful, crazy-busy time, I need to stay positive. Once again, shocking . . . but when I am feeling overwhelmed it is easy to let those "overwhelm" emotions sweep me away.


Achor concludes that "our brain is 31% more productive at positive than it is at negative, neutral, or stressed."

So, if you want to seriously kick some butt this week on ALL of the things going on in your life you can echo my self-talk - "I'm awesome! I'm getting EVERYTHING done! No problem! I can do it! SUPER-MOM!"

Comments

  1. I watched this video a few weeks ago! Now just have to try and live by it. :) Hope you are having a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off