September 11, 2001

Ten years ago I was living in Lloydmister doing my teaching internship. While I ate breakfast that morning the radio was on. The newsman said something about the twin towers being hit, but I didn't pay any attention. I had no idea where they were or what it could mean. There is always news about bombings and terrorists and at that point in my life I had no interest in any sort of world event.

When I got to the school someone asked me if I had heard what happened and I responded, "yah. . . I can't believe it. Michael Jordan is making a comeback." That was the news I had heard that morning that had meaning to me. Slowly, I started hearing more details that made what was happening feel a lot closer to home.

I didn't see the footage until that night at home. It was shocking. It is STILL shocking.

At Christmas time 2007 we went to NYC and visited the site. I can't put into words what it was like to be there. It was incredibly emotional. We saw memorials, churches, and the beginnings of rebuilding.

I saw a copy of People magazine this weekend. A young girl on the cover caught my eye so I read the headline, Remembering the Father I Never Met: A 9/11 Memorial. I couldn't pick it up. My heart aches for all those who lost loved ones, but I really felt a connection to that girl on the cover. She didn't know her dad, but yet I know she misses him and grieves her loss.

Today I am remembering the thousands of people who continue to mourn the loss of their loved ones on September 11, 2001.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off