Spirituality

Today, I watched an episode of Oprah that I hadn't seen and didn't really want to watch.  Oprah's guest was Shirley MacLaine.  She is an older actress and I recognized her face.  She has been in over 60 movies, even won an oscar, but I can't tell you what any of the movies are called.  I didn't think anything about Shirley MacLaine would interest me, but I couldn't have been more wrong.


Shirley MacLaine and Oprah talked a lot about spirituality and I even re-watched a few parts, because I was so intrigued by their discussion.


I found this on Shirley MacLaine's website:


Webster defines spiritual as, "of the spirit or the soul, as distinguished from the body." We know the body. The body is solid and tangible. We know the mind and pride ourselves on being able to learn, to think and to rationalize.  


The spirit is the direct connection to the Divine. It is the cohesive sum and substance of who and what we really are; an energy that is harmonious with the Creator.


Oprah said that spirituality is having an "open heart -- open to receive the possibility of all there is."  I connected to this statement.  I think I am struggling with the difference between religion and spirituality.  The more I read, the more I realize how different they are.  


There are so many different religions.  A few may have some of the same guiding principles, but they are different.  I feel like if I believe in Christianity, I am saying that the other religions aren't valid and that is not what I believe.  I like this idea of just being open to any possibility.  Maybe I can be Christian, even Catholic, and just be open to other prospects and ideas.  I can be both spiritual and Christian.


Shirley MacLaine and Oprah both spoke that the foundation of their spirituality is the idea that what you put out, you get back.  They also discussed the idea that events in our life help us understand who we are, or who we're not.


Ever since we lost Tripp, I have had this feeling - - or urge to be a better person.  I want to be the best person I can be for him.  Tripp was a gift and I am so thankful that he came to us.  As much as I hurt, I know I am learning from this experience.  I am learning so much about who I am and who I want to be.  


The last time I did serious thinking about faith, spirituality, and religion was when Garth Brooks was on Oprah!  I guess I better stay tuned to Oprah during her last season.  Apparently, I need her to help me figure out what I believe. LOL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off