Grief vs Postpartum Depression

When we had Calder, Hugh and I learned about the signs of postpartum depression and we both watched for it.  We knew how serious it was and how real it is for many moms.

We hadn't really thought about it since we had Tripp.  I guess partly because we had other things to think about and, to be quite honest, it was also partly due to the fact that we didn't bring home a baby to remind us about it.

A few days ago a friend sent me an email reminding me of how real postpartum depression is and Hugh and I have both done some reading on the symptoms to refresh our memories.

All of the symptoms that I am experiencing on the postpartum list are on the list of symptoms of someone who is grieving.  If I wasn't grieving, I would say I have postpartum depression, but I am grieving and these symptoms I am experiencing are completely normal for someone who has experienced a loss.

So do I have postpartum depression or is it just the grief.  Your guess is as good as mine.

I will tell you that I have talked a lot with Hugh about it and we are both concerned about it, but as Hugh said this morning, "I don't think we're there yet."  We will continue to carefully watch how I am feeling and consult with our doctor and counselor if necessary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off