Gas

Although you might be thinking I am going to talk about Calder or Hugh's farting (ewww...I can't believe I just put that), I am actually going to discuss gas in our vehicles.

Hugh drives on empty and it drives me nuts.

I got my first taste of his risky behavior the week before our wedding in 2006.  We had attended my cousin's wedding in Calgary and were on our way home with Luke and his girlfriend.  When we got to Strathmore, I announced to Hugh that the next decent sized placed was Hanna and we should probably fill up before we left civilization.  His response was "we'll be fine" and he put it into 5th gear and cruised out of town.

Now picture us, in the middle of nowhere, with the gas light going on.  It's a Sunday afternoon and Hugh says, "no worries, some little town will have gas."  No.  There were NO little towns with gas.  And we drove out of our way to check out a couple.  We started getting desperate as the gas gauge sank lower and lower below the empty line.  It got so bad, that we turned off the A/C and put the car in neutral going down hills. As we reached 80 kms on empty, Hanna came into our sights.  We were sweating, I was stressed, but we were saved.  Or were we?

As we rolled into Hanna, we saw a gas station on the left hand side of the road. Hugh says, "there will be something on the right, up ahead."  THERE WASN'T.  We began floating out of town on empty.  Now, any reasonable person would have turned around and went to that gas station on the left, but Hugh said, "there is a service station a couple kilometers up."  There was a service station...twelve kilometers later.  Obviously, 12 kilometers is no big deal under normal circumstances, but when you are already getting close to 100 kilometers on empty, it is a REALLY long way.

In the end, we made it.  It was the worst thing that could have ever happened.  Hugh now knows that the car goes "at least" 100 kms after the light goes on and he takes full advantage.

Why would I be telling you this story 4 years later?  Well, in the last 3 months, I think Hugh may have filled up the car once.  He drives it on empty so long, that it never fails, that the one day a week that I have to take the car, is the day it is already on its 50th kilometer on E.

Ughhh...last week I had to fill up the car and ended up driving it for 2 days.  When I hopped back in the van on the 3rd morning, it was on empty.

Hugh's response, "you have made me change enough things, I'm not changing driving on empty."

I may have given up on this one, but I won't stop complaining about it.  Take that, Hugh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off