Last Week

I am officially in my last week of maternity leave.  I head back to work Monday, March 1.

I have been having a multitude of emotions connected to this.  You name the emotion, I have experienced it.  Sadness, Excitement, Apprehension, Fear, Anticipation, Nervousness. . . And of course every one of these emotions has caused tears on occasion.  A good friend Deena's advice to me during this transition is that "it is o.k. to cry."  I have embraced this and a couple times when I feel the tears come on, I give in, even if it is just for a few seconds.

Don't get me wrong.  Not all the tears are because I am sad.  Calder is going to have such a great experience at daycare.  Another good friend of mine, Kerri, will be looking after him.  She lives in Martensville with her husband and son, Dylan, who is 3 months older the Calder.  Calder and Dylan are BFF's (well, that's what Kerri and I decided!), so I know that he will be having a great time while I am at work.  Kerri has looked after Calder many times and we spend a lot of time together.  She is GREAT with him and I know he will learn so much there.  I am hoping Kerri has some luck teaching him "no", because Hugh and I are completely struggling with this!

Calder had his first practice day at Kerri's yesterday and he did awesome.  Slept well, ate well, and played well.  There was one small bump in the day during a fierce mini-stick game.  Dylan got a major for high sticking Calder in the head!  (Think: Marty McSorley and Donald Brashear!) This event ended the game.   Kerri and I had a good laugh about it and decided the boys are going to have to get a bit better motor control, before they have another game!  Hugh on the other hand thinks they should keep at it. "It will toughen them up."  That comment alone, is why I took the whole year of maternity leave rather than splitting it with Hugh!

I have a few things to do before I head back to work Monday.  The grade 9 math curriculum has changed, so I need to spend a few nights getting my head around it.  I am also going to visit my classroom on the weekend to get a bit more settled in.  I am in the midst of baking and making meals for the freezer, because I am a bit nervous about balancing work and our house.  Other than that, my main goal this week is to purchase some waterproof mascara.  I may need it on Monday morning on my way to Aden Bowman!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off